Heavily modified Centre Console ...
22 April 2019
The centre console for this car had to be modified due to several reasons:
- Had to be reduced in height due to the higher drive tunnel
- Had to be shortened on the right side due to the heater/aricon unit
- A lot of additional electrical switches from the SL donor car had to be integrated
First thing was to try to design the "holes" in exactly the same way as they were done in a R107 SL, so those switches would properly "click in".
There should also be some spare room left, as those switches are flush with the surface. Therefore the leather had to go inside the hole and the leather thickness had to be taken into account. After the visit with the saddler, we decided on the leather and so I had the thickness of it.
Left of the ashtray there was a large hole for the "American" Hazard switch. I decided to use the smaller one from the SL. So I designed a little plastic inlay for that hole, so that another "SL-switch" would fit in there … in my case the "B-Switch" (see Gear Display).
What seven switches will go in?
- Seat heating (2x)
- Electric Windows (2x)
- Light inside
- Hazard Lights
- Override switch for the motor vent
So what's still to do?
- The hole right of the ashtray has to be extended to hold the cigarette lighter
- The front Opening of the aircon grating will be closed, as it had to be shortened due to the drive tunnel (original grating wouldn't fit)
- Already got another idea: on the bottom of the centre console I'd like to have a little compartment for my glasses ;-) … I will report!