New cable delivery arrived ...
As soon as I have some time, the wiring "fun" can start ...
21 September 2019
Design of a completely new harness ...
14 September 2019
As cables get brittle with the years (at least 37 years), it was clear to me, that I have to make a completely new harness. Also all the changes require additional wiring, that has to be integrated.
While I'm at it, I can also reroute some wiring to make life easier. So what were the steps?
1. The basis was the SL-harness (R107), which I laid out on a big table. EVERY single cable in there was put into an Excel-sheet, with colour, length, diametre, from where to where, etc.
2. All additional wiring was designed, e. g. the electrical fan, seat heating, etc.
3. A COMPLETE wiring diagram (colour!) was drawn with ALL cables ever being in that car. This also integrates "extras" like ABS, seat heating, cruise control, …
4. The layout in the car was designed with all nodes
So all in all it was a work of months (I don't count the hours anymore), there are 344 single cables with a total length of 547 metres …
Next step is to order the cables … ;-)
Electrics behind the centre console ...
9 September 2019
As mentioned elsewhere, most of the electrical components will be installed behind the gloves compartment. However, not all will fit there. With the new aircon unit, I do have some space behind the - modified - centre console.
So during the prototype phase, I cut a plywood plate in shape, so it a) fits behind the console and b) can be fixed with the two bars on the left and right.
I painted it black and started to fix the parts:
- front left, the two relais for the seat heating (close to the switches)
- front right, my electronics for the gear display, the ashtray display; it also provides +5V for the USB socket
- back left: the control unit of the aircon unit
- back right: my selfmade connector "58d" (originally fitted to the heater box in the R107)